Ollie & Quentin Book

Ollie & Quentin Book
125 pages in full colour!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ray Harryhausen



When I was young one of my neighbors owned a film studios in Shepperton, England. His name was Benny Lee and his company was Lee Electric Lighting. My brother and I were good friends with his sons, Mark and Adam, and one day we visited some studios to see an animator at work. I remember this kindly, balding man being very patient with us kids as we charged round his studio feasting our eyes on all his amazing models. I also remember being fascinated by a foot high model of a man with a spear in his belly. At the time the animator was working on a scene where a baboon was playing chess. I recall being quite disappointed it wasn't something more gruesome like a Minotaur chewing a Dinosaur or something... (I was young). He told us the movie was going to be called 'Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger' which I thought was a pretty cool title. Anyway, years later I realized just who it was we met. Yup, Ray Harryhausen! How lucky was I?

No comments: