Ollie & Quentin Book

Ollie & Quentin Book
125 pages in full colour!

Thursday, April 01, 2010

On my lunch break...





Lewis Carroll was the pen name of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson. He acquired the lease of the house in my photo ('The Chestnuts') which is in my home town of Guildford. After his father's death Dodgson had to find a home for his six unmarried sisters and The Chestnuts was ideal.

Although Dodgson didn't live in Guildford but in Christchurch, Oxford, he was the householder and spent much of the university vacations here. In 1871 he completed the second Alice Book "Through the Looking Glass" while staying in Guildford. While spending Christmas at The Chestnuts he caught flu and died in January 1898. He is buried nearby.

During a break in my comic writing today I strolled round Guildford reminding myself of the town's link with the creator of the very weird 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'. It was quite pleasant.

No comments: