Ollie & Quentin Book

Ollie & Quentin Book
125 pages in full colour!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lost in Translation...


I have a pretty good comic rough on the chopping block (see above with the text removed). It hinges on readers knowing the 'Counting Crows' rhyme. Here in the UK we have a very well known version counting Magpies. It goes:

One for sorrow
Two for Joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret never to be told.

I googled this rhyme and learned that in the US there is a Counting Crows version that goes:

One crow means sorrow
Two crows mean joy
Three crows a wedding
Four crows a boy
Five crows mean silver
Six crows mean gold
Seven crows a secret that's never been told.

My question is, how popular is this rhyme? If I made reference to it would you know what I meant? My Editor didn't know it and seeing as he's one of the brightest people I know I have a feeling my comic is doomed, but just in case...

...Anyone?

7 comments:

J. Lemon said...

My spousal unit doesn't know it but then she's also lucky enough to have never heard of Tommy Boyd or the Spencer Davis Group.

Liquidark said...

I knew there was a poem about crows but didn't know what it was.Maybe a bit vague in the US anyway.

Anne Hambrock said...

I am afraid I haven't hear of it either.

Anne

Piers Baker said...

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm going to have to rethink.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm 45 and have never heard it.
Dan

Piers Baker said...

This is quite interesting as it's the first really big difference I've stumbled across while writing my comic for a US market (apart from you calling trousers 'pants' when those of us in the UK know 'pants' are underwear... TeeHee).
Here, almost everyone knows this rhyme, a lot of people even 'salute' if they see a solitary magpie to ward off it's 'sorrow'.

Has no-one heard of the Californian Rock Band "Counting Crows"?

ELIZABETH said...

I know the band name but not any of their music.
Did they take the name from the rhyme? Interesting thought not that it makes any real difference to my day. :-)