Ollie & Quentin Book

Ollie & Quentin Book
125 pages in full colour!

Friday, July 10, 2009

With or without the 3rd panel?



My fellow British syndicated cartoonist buddy Alex Hallatt (creator of the fantastic Arctic Circle) emailed me to say that, for her, it wasn't necessary to have the third panel in this comic strip. I am aware that some readers occasionally require a little more help in getting a punchline. I prefer not to do this as a joke is weakened by too much "spoonfeeding" but on balance I felt this was one such occasion where a little more explanation was needed.

Which do you prefer?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer the 3rd panel because it reinforces the misdirection. Totally understand that you don't want overkill in setting up a joke but I thought it worked well with all 4 panels.

Piers Baker said...

Good answer, I like that.

arcticcircle said...

I like the third panel in there, I just didn't need the dialogue. I think you need the third panel for the timing!