Ollie & Quentin Book

Ollie & Quentin Book
125 pages in full colour!

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Doodle Drawing


The difference between my 'instinctive, doodle' drawing and my other work is enormous! This is a page from my sketchpad and below is a speeded up movie of the same kind of drawing. I tend to draw like this when we're on holiday. I simply clear my mind, put pen to paper and watch what comes out. It's total free drawing straight from the heart or hand or head or somehere. One line leads on to the other, I have no idea what is going to happen. What interests me is the difference between this instinctive drawing and the kind of artwork I produce when I think about it. I really don't like most of the cartoon artwork I produce in my day job. It's too simple and well, boring, but thankfully, quite commercial so I can just about earn a living at it. I would say only one in a hundred pictures might be good enough to end up on my personal website. I do like the look of my comic strip but again, the linework is very different from the doodle work I enjoy so much.

No comments: