Ollie & Quentin Book

Ollie & Quentin Book
125 pages in full colour!

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Fishy




The first strip I read every day is Pooch Cafe by Paul Gilligan. I love it although it always reminds me of the faux pas I made when meeting the great King Features Sales Team for the first time. I was asked which my favorite comic strips were and I instantly replied Pooch Cafe before my brain engaged and yelled at me that I should be naming King Features comics first. Of course I then listed some of the Kings greats but by then the damage was done.
Anyway Pooch Cafe has a fish called Fish. Ollie and Quentin have a fish called Fishy who even sits on a similar table in an identical round fish bowl. My Fishy existed long before I'd ever seen Pooch Cafe, honest.
The character came about because my son has two fish that refuse to die. He's had them about 9 years! All the others died about 8 years ago but for some reason these two just live on. We struggled to give them names but finally decided on Beany (because one looked like my old school friend Christopher Bean) and B*stard because he's... well, a right little b*stard and probably the reason all the others died. I'd like to call Ollie and Quentin's Fishy 'Beany' but Quentin looks so much like a Jelly Bean himself that it might be misleading. 'Sushi' seemed a bit obvious so until I hear from Paul Gilligan's lawyers it's going to have to remain 'Fishy'.

No comments: